1. Welcome to BedmaybeBreakfast! We are a community of AirBnB hosts and guests. Please join in our community and share your experience and opinion. It's FREE! Join HERE!
  2. We are looking for AirBnB enthusiasts interested in writing blogs. E-mail Barry at micasa@bedmaybebreakfast.com for more info. Writers will be compensated per article. The blogs section can be viewed here.

Weird new Airbnb ad!

Discussion in 'Hosts' started by Carolyn, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Carolyn

Carolyn Member

OMG! Has anyone else seen the creepy new ad that Airbnb has just posted? It is just weird -- it isn't going to encourage ANYONE to use Airbnb. Check out the voice over: "Look through their windows ....sleep in their beds...."
    So creepy!!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
    Estuarto and Shredder like this.
  2. KonaCoconutz

KonaCoconutz Active Member

Dislike! I work in advertising and that is just off the mark. The reason people use Air in 99% of the cases is not to meet new friends and see life their eyes, it's to travel more cheaply? Am I wrong?

But yeah...sleep in their beds? Just no. Makes you think you are going to be sharing the host's bed with them! Ewwwww! Who approved the copy for that ad, where is Peggy Olsen when you need her? ;)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  3. Carolyn

Carolyn Member

I thought Airbnb had in-house ad people, but apparently this is by Chiatt-Day (hope I'm spelling that right!) The campaign is soooo misguided. Someone in an Airbnb group said she thought at first it was a spot for a horror movie!!

4. KonaCoconutz

KonaCoconutz Active Member

Chiat-Day are the stuff of legends but this one misses badly.

Carolyn likes this.
  5. Matt S

Matt S Active Member

How kind the hes and shes of this mankind are. Mankind? Humakind?

Creepy, but is it effective. So many commercials are bizarre to get your attention, to get you talking. Seems effective here to me :)

Shredder likes this.
  6. Shredder

Shredder Member

What would a good AirBnB ad be like? Maybe show the variety of possibile places to stay and highlight the global aspect of it?

7. Estuarto

Estuarto Active Member

Just saw it live. I was surprised what it was for! You have to assume they have a hot shot marketing team coming up with these ideas, and maybe they know something we don't.

8. Carolyn

Carolyn Member

Hey Estuarto, you know what I think? YOU know more~~~ They don't know anything we don't -- we're in the trenches! They should do an ad that shows a couple using Airbnb for the first time -- searching listings then arriving at some great place. It would be so much more effective and helpful, and it could still be done stylized and arty if they must.

9. Sandy

Sandy Active Member

Bizarrely, we find that guests DO stay in our home to 'try on our lives for a bit'. My husband and I have discussed it many times that this is what we feel people come to our place to get, and to be honest, it creeps us out in real life too. We have a beautiful big Victorian with stunning large porches, are artists, have a studio here, and find that city people want to come up and try on the lifestyle for the weekend. Many people have never been inside a home like ours, with amazing oak paneling throughout the entire downstairs, all open on the first floor via huge pocket doors, large sweeping staircase, bedrooms centered round a large mezzanine looking over the big staircase. They are here to see how we live it seems sometimes, and try on our lives, which are completely different to theirs (most live in NYC and work in professional jobs, although we have a lot of creative brooklynites).

But are we talking about the ad with the baby? Why put a baby in it? They should know that many airbnb's don't cater to chillen's. I felt it put up the expectation that everyone will take kids and bring more parents and families into the market. And I also found the weird slow mo unsupervised baby wondering a hall fingers on the glass front door odd. Who sets a baby free in a strangers hallway? What if someone came through the door? Haha. I mean I know it was some artistic idea, but seriously now!

Carolyn likes this.
  10. Threepalms

Threepalms New Member

If I didn't't know better it would creep me out. But because I do...I understand. BTW 50 plus 1 that understands my kids speak. I am still old fart to them.

11. jmsmilin

jmsmilin New Member

wtf..go ahead, sleep with their spouses...beat their dogs...drive their cars when their not home...scratch your butts on their couch...Hhahahahaa

12. Georg

Georg New Member

Have you guys seen the parody already?

13. Threepalms

Threepalms New Member

yep! that is why I would never do a shared room or private room, my studio is next to my house but they have no immediate access to my living area. But they share my pool and backyard area so some creep factor will be a problem.

14. opiektidung

opiektidung New Member

Steady, so the people will take longer to reach our place of work and can be controlled well

15. Kirsty

Kirsty New Member

omg hahah that's hilarious

16. James Wangsness

James Wangsness New Member

Of course you are absolutely right; people simply want cheaper accommodation. I hate to sound cynical, but that's why Airbnb and the others are doing so well. Yes, there is the warm and fuzzy aspect of meeting new people, etc., but that's not the reason most of us are renting out our rooms, or renting rooms; it's because we want to supplement our income or it's cheaper sleeping in a stranger's house. I can't afford to stay in hotels, even motels, and I limit my travel because of this. However! I have to say that when I meet a really nice guest--like the Korean girl who stayed last night--I do get that warm and fuzzy feeling. She was so sweet and appreciative.

Estuarto likes this.
  17. Estuarto

Estuarto Active Member

I appreciate the social aspect of meeting MOST of my guests. Others are more of a business transaction. Few I can't wait for to leave.

Jill van Vucht likes this.