1. Welcome to BedmaybeBreakfast! We are a community of AirBnB hosts and guests. Please join in our community and share your experience and opinion. It's FREE! Join HERE!
  2. We are looking for AirBnB enthusiasts interested in writing blogs. E-mail Barry at micasa@bedmaybebreakfast.com for more info. Writers will be compensated per article. The blogs section can be viewed here.

SMS Reply not going through

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Rosatti, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Rosatti

Rosatti Member

I have had a few instances of replying to SMS Airbnb messages in the past month that don't go through to the guest. On two occasions that has complicated things. So I have stopped replying to SMS (although it was the easiest method for quick reply). Now I load the app and go to messages. Has anyone else had this problem?

Abby J likes this.
  2. Shirey

Shirey Member

I have noticed this as well. I don't think replying to SMS AirBnB messages works anymore? You have to either use the app, web-site, or e-mail.

3. Abby J

Abby J Member

I always reply to the e-mail notifications and I have SMS turned off, it's too annoying.

4. Matt S

Matt S Active Member

It would be nice if you could reply to SMS but the only instance I know of where that works is to ACCEPT the reservation.

Rosatti likes this.
  5. Shirey

Shirey Member

I had a guest yesterday show up considerably early for check-in without notice. He said he messaged me. I said did you reply to the text. He said yes. I had to tell him that doesn't work. It wasn't that he had used it before and thought it would still work, it was just he thought logically if I am getting this message through text I should be able to reply. Now I wonder how many texts have been sent by guests to me that I haven't received.

6. Estuarto

Estuarto Active Member

I just had this happen to me last night. My guests shows up 2 hours after we previously agreed upon. I tried to hold back my anger of waiting around on a Friday night. So I said "I must have misunderstood but I thought you would arrive at 4pm?". They said "You didn't get out message, our flight was delayed but we sent you a message." I looked at my app and showed them nothing there. That's when I realized they had replied to the last text message. Argh. I also noticed this week that the text notifications were coming in 30 minutes to an hour later than the e-mails.

7. Rhonda

Rhonda Member

My texts have been taking 2 hours to arrive. Renders them a bit useless because by then I have seen the e-mail.

8. Shirey

Shirey Member

Argh! I just got a private feedback where the guest stated "sent some messages that weren't replied to". I'm thinking I might put a saved message in to send to all guests once they booked. "You cannot reply to text notifications."

9. brea

brea New Member

I never thought to reply to the text messages, but I also never thought that my guests might be trying to do so.

10. Castle Woman

Castle Woman Active Member

I noticed yesterday that the text notices are an hour or two delayed. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of them? I like getting the texts but if they are going to be late and without the ability to reply they are more just a nuisance.

Rhonda likes this.
  11. Matt S

Matt S Active Member

I would have thought the delays on SMS would be a temporary problem but I just got one, still delayed over an hour. What gives?

Rhonda likes this.
  12. Rhonda

Rhonda Member

Mine are coming on time again. But I still can't reply.

Castle Woman, Rosatti and Matt S like this.
  13. Matt S

Matt S Active Member

Same here.

14. Rosatti

Rosatti Member

My guest arrived 2 hours later yesterday then they originally told me. They said they had messaged me. I didn't get the message. Text reply. Yup.

Estuarto likes this.
  15. Estuarto

Estuarto Active Member

Is there nowhere that AirBnB makes it clear you can't reply to text messages? I would imagine the third party service can see how many replies come in? Or where do they go?

16. Castle Woman

Castle Woman Active Member

I have never been notified or seen a warning against replying to text messages from AirBnB. I certainly remember it working in the past and not now.