1. Welcome to BedmaybeBreakfast! We are a community of AirBnB hosts and guests. Please join in our community and share your experience and opinion. It's FREE! Join HERE!
  2. We are looking for AirBnB enthusiasts interested in writing blogs. E-mail Barry at micasa@bedmaybebreakfast.com for more info. Writers will be compensated per article. The blogs section can be viewed here.

Smart locks?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Abby J, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Abby J

Abby J Member

Are any hosts using smartlocks? I'm actually waiting for my locxbox to arrive that I ordered a few days ago and was telling a friend about my new plan to use it. They turned me on to smart locks. Now I'm thinking maybe I should return the lockbox and get a smart lock! The Kevo looks cool! From what I can tell you just touch the lock with a finger and if your phone is nearby it lets you in. What if your phone is dead I wonder? I think I like the concept in that you can track everyone coming in the house.

2. Matt S

Matt S Active Member

Don't think the world is quite ready for smart locks. Not everyone has the bluetooth capable phone. Unless you want to make it a requirement that your guests have certain technological capabilities. :) I do have one or two friends with a flip-phone. And of course my stubborn dad still loves his LG Razor.

images.jpg

3. Estuarto

Estuarto Active Member

I have looked into this as well and think it not quite practical. Yet. The costs are between $100 and $300 generally speaking. The $100 is the current offer from Lockitron for the bolt product. In their advertisement they have a testimonial from an AirBnB host.

A lot of these products you could remotely open if your guest didn't have a smartphone. Then I suppose you do have to be available. These smart lock solutions will probably start to go mainstream in within a year or two.

4. Castle Woman

Castle Woman Active Member

I like the idea of eliminating keys. My newer Toyota has the technology of the key that doesn't actually go in any ignition. Immediately I thought why not just have it recognize my phone. It won't be long until all these extra things we carry around - money, credit cards, checkbooks (anyone use these still), keys, etc will all be integrated with the phone. Then I imagine it won't be long until somehow the phone is integrated to us. It's funny that we even call it a phone still. I never see the kids talking on the thing these days.

5. Rosatti

Rosatti Member

6. Rosatti

Rosatti Member

Matt S likes this.
  7. Cary Scredel

Cary Scredel New Member

I don't host with AirBnB but I have an August smart lock. Had it for a few months and it works great. It has batteries so I even if power is out or wifi down it still works. I can grant access generally, or specify time blocks. I paid about $250.

8. Castle Woman

Castle Woman Active Member

I see the future is coming. Soon :)

9. kate

kate New Member