1. Welcome to BedmaybeBreakfast! We are a community of AirBnB hosts and guests. Please join in our community and share your experience and opinion. It's FREE! Join HERE!
  2. We are looking for AirBnB enthusiasts interested in writing blogs. E-mail Barry at micasa@bedmaybebreakfast.com for more info. Writers will be compensated per article. The blogs section can be viewed here.

People suck

Discussion in 'Stories' started by Shredder, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Shredder

Shredder Member

Oh man, where to start. So I decided to go on a little 5 day camping trip. I left while my guest was at the house with one day left on her trip. I decided to list my place as an entire place, but with the same price as I charge for the room alone if it's two people. $70 per night. I left my regular listing open too, nbut I thought this a good chance to get a listing going for the whole place in case We wanted to take a vacation in the future. Build some reviews you know. My roomate is outta town, which is very common and his room is nice so I included it in the listing. Sure enough I got a request, a woman who lives in San Diego and her husband, having there house painted and wanting to stay for 3 nights. I quickly explained that I wouldn't be home to clean after my last guest and that's why the price was so low. $70 a night is the price of a room at the hostel nearby. I said I would have sheets/towells ready. She said no problem. I have strict cancel policy. I booked her. So she doesnt come first night, tells me they will checkin day 2 in the morning. At 12:30pm i get a call and she sounds unhappy.

"My husband works from home and we need wifi, what's the info".

"Sureit's on the paper in the room"

"All I see is a pile of papers and brochures"

"I can tell it to you."

"Ok I found it, and are there any towels"

"In the basket with the sheets."

"Ok."

"Do you need anything else?"

"Umm no."

"Ok well feel free to message or call me if you do."

"Ok bye"

And the bad feeling starts to set in. But no word from them all day or night or next morning. So I text around noon. "Is everything ok with the place for you". Immediate response "Hi. We are unhappy and uncomfortable and want to move to a hotel, will you refund us for our last night". I say "May I ask what's wrong?". An hour goes by nothing so I message back on Airbnb system "You have expressed wanting a refund, but haven't said why. It's now past usual check-out time. I don't know what to do for you without a reason. My cancel policy is strict because if you don't book someone else will"

Then it comes. "The place is dingy and dirty, the pillows are horrible, and the bed smells like cheese."

2. Shredder

Shredder Member

So I reply, wow perceptions are crazy. Im sorry its not a resort but based on your complaints I cant offer a refund."

Then more messages about her unhappiness. She even said "We will take this up with airbnb and unless you can provide us with a refund for tonight, we will be morally obliged to leave a truthful review to warn others. "

Wheres the morals in that? I replied "I don't buy reviews with refunds".

More details coming but I had to get this story started.

3. Estuarto

Estuarto Active Member

Interested to hear the rest of this story! Perceptions are interesting Shredder. I notice she didn't want to confront you on the phone but by text she was ready to let it fly. If she stayed then she shouldn't have much recourse to get a refund from you. I think you did the right thing not issuing one, as she is likely to leave a bad review either way.

Shredder likes this.
  4. Cabinhost

Cabinhost New Member

Wow Shredder! Sorry to hear about the PITA guest. It sounds like her initial phone call to you was to feel you out and see how you would react to her not being able to find obvious things. It sounds like she made plans to stay for three nights and then didn't really need all three nights....so now she is making stuff up.

You don't think the last guest had a party or anything on her last night...do you?

So I guess her first hope was that you didn't have your WIFI password memorized. Find it a bit odd that she had to point out that her husband works from home. If you hadn't have known it she prob. would have thrown the paper away that had the WIFI info on it, and claimed it wasn't there so she could not stay - as her husband supposedly would not be able to work.

The place is dirty? Well I guess when one chooses to reserve a place knowing full well the condition is that it will not be cleaned after the last guest....then that means she will need to clean to her own standards!

And then she thought you would just cave when you checked to see if everything is okay. Who just makes a statement "we are happy and uncomfortable" without providing any reasons. Sorry but if the price of a hostel is the same price as your entire place, no way are they planning to spend tons of money on a hotel room.

Do I understand correctly....this couple has access to the room the previous guests stayed in and your roommates room too?

5. Shredder

Shredder Member

Yes she had two bedrooms, living room, kitchen, yard. She had complaints on e I stuck it to her. See end of my first post. When I turned down the refund she went bigger with her complaints. Hair plastered on bathroom wall, a rusted tire in front yard, dirty carpet in room, ceiling not painted. There could be a hair in the bathroom, I cleaned before I left, but yea. The carpet is tight berber, nobody else complains its dirty, maybe it needed vacuumed after previous guest, the ceiling I painted 2 years ago, the tire is in neighbors yard. Who cares about a tire. She said I can get a low budget hotel for $90 a night, well I dount that even but she got a whole house for $70! She stayed the last night, I told her I know she did because my neighbor checked for me. She said she got some pillows from home and toughed it out because I wouldn't refund her.

In the messaging an interesting thing came up. I tried to explain that $70 a night is less then my rent. That this is not a business. She had all these home improvement things I had to do to make it ok for guests. I tried to tell her Ive had hundreds of happy guests. She is second unhappy one ever. The other one was insane. She told me it is a business and I need to treat my guests like humans. I argued it's homeshare Im not making a profit. My bookings never exceed my rent alone. Let alone utilities and food. She doesn't get it. Horrible review coming soon. Im going to put in hers.

"This guest is not recommended. I have had hundreds of happy guests, this is the second one ever to try to get a refund even though she stayed. I feel bad she is an unhappy person, but don't try to host her, you will regret it"

6. KonaCoconutz

KonaCoconutz Active Member

I too, was tempted to rent my place between guests while I was away and unable to clean. I realized it was a bad idea, because there is literally no way you can control the quality of that situation. I asked around and found someone I totally trusted who could clean it for my cleaning fee. I felt much more comfortable. You have to clean. They will get there and conveniently forget the entire conversation about the sale rate for no cleaning.

About refunds, I had a flipkey guest yesterday leave the property with six days left on this reservation. He has a fully outtfiitted studio apartment near great snorkeling in Hawaii and was up here almost immediately complaining. Implying I should refund...when I reminded him I did not misrepresent the apartment and there are no refunds sorry. He badgered me with that same line: "You're running a business, you should have things fixed!" Mind you he was talking about a small drip on the kitchen sink faucet and the fact that there is no TV or AC, all disclosed in my listing.

I was actually thrilled when he came up to tell me he was leaving. The tension with that jerk here was intense. They did leave the apartment spotless, probably because the wife was really nice.

You're probably going to get dinged anyway from her even if you refunded.. So I guess just take it as a lesson learned. Always make sure to clean between guests, even if you have to hire it out.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    Rosatti likes this.
  7. KonaCoconutz

Also if she was so unhappy, why did she not check out immediately!?

Rosatti likes this.
  8. KonaCoconutz

Also review extortion is totally against the TOS... Do you have his conversation in the system thread? It's the best way to prove a guest made that threat.

Castle Woman, Jackson and Rosatti like this.
  9. Rosatti

Rosatti Member

It is dangerous to rent your place without cleaning and having had a guest depart after you have checked the everything. There is no way to determine what has happened to the house by whom. You also got a bad apple. What was the condition of the place on your return?

10. Jackson

Jackson Member

Having guests like this can be discouraging. If and when they do leave you a review you should wait until the last day to write theirs back. That way you have a good chance of other people leaving you reviews before theirs goes public on your profile.

Estuarto likes this.
  11. Jelly

Jelly New Member

Travelers don't want to see the place unmade. Definitely drop the bomb on her review! :)

Estuarto likes this.
  12. Shredder

Shredder Member

On day 9 of the review period she left a review. I knew it would be bad so I left her a crap one too. It's ok because she looks nuts with the 100 good review before her and the 3 recent ones already after hers. Still my blood boils a bit.

Castle Woman likes this.
  13. KonaCoconutz

Want to share?

14. Castle Woman

Castle Woman Active Member

Review extortion! I never thought of that. Have you read that in the service agreement?

15. Tessa

Tessa New Member

Jackson likes this.
  16. Shredder

Shredder Member

"Guests are not allowed to threaten to use reviews or ratings in an attempt to force a host to provide refunds,"

I have flagged her message and sent an e-mail via the "help" on the website.

Some highlights from the review include the distance to the bathroom.
    The bathroom and bedroom share a wall but are about 10 steps from door to door. What a winer - she has to walk to the bathroom? Does she prefer if she can roll onto the toilet from the bed?

I think he is a nice guy but he shouldn't be an AirBnB host.
    Uhh lady, you are in the one percentile of people not loving my place. Hundreds lady.

There is inadequate light in the bedroom to read, so we had to use a flashlight, which made it more depressing
    -You obviously are depressed, the listing doesn't show a bed lamp in the photos but there is one - UPGRADE!

Sandy and Jackson like this.
  17. Jackson

Jackson Member

Picturing said guest rolling from the bed to toilet. Classic. I wonder if they will do anything about the extortion? Remove the review and give them a warning?

Shredder likes this.
  18. Shredder

Shredder Member

Thanks so much to KonaCoconutz! I contacted AirBnB, explaining that in her messaging she had mentioned that if I didn't give her a refund she would be obligated to leave me a review. I called her out on the extortion. And sure as sh*t AirBnB 5 days later wrote me to say that they had removed her review off my profile. I immediately hopped online to see if mine was still showing on her profile - it was. Here is the e-mail from AirBnB. I wonder if they alerted her or warned her or anything, for some reason I doubt it. Still I'm happy to have the review removed.

Hello ***

My name is Br**, a case manager with Airbnb, and thank you for reaching out to us with your concerns. I hope you have enjoyed hosting with us thus far. All of your hard work and dedication is greatly appreciated, so please keep up the great work.

I have gone ahead and reviewed the information presented to me. I did notice that your guest did have a comment related to extortion so I have gone ahead and removed her review. Thank you for bringing this into our attention. The review should no longer be visible on your profile within the next 24 hours if not immediately.

I do apologize for this inconvenience. If there are any other questions, please feel free to reach out to us again for assistance.

Thank you for your time and understanding.

Br**

Estuarto likes this.
  19. Estuarto

Estuarto Active Member

Good outcome! I think you are right though they don't notify the guest in this instance. They don't mind another host dealing with an extortionist!

20. Sandy

Sandy Active Member

Well handled shredder! I had a very similar incident, but was unfortunately there and had to personally deal with the awful awful people that tried the extortion route with us. It was also obvious to airbnb what they were doing because same as you they said threatened a bad review if they didn't get a free stay, and also because our other guests has been unanimously so happy (including the weekend those rotten people stayed and accused our home of being a dump. It's still really stressful to go through.