1. Welcome to BedmaybeBreakfast! We are a community of AirBnB hosts and guests. Please join in our community and share your experience and opinion. It's FREE! Join HERE!
  2. We are looking for AirBnB enthusiasts interested in writing blogs. E-mail Barry at micasa@bedmaybebreakfast.com for more info. Writers will be compensated per article. The blogs section can be viewed here.

Lost my superhost status

Discussion in 'Hosts' started by Shredder, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Matt S

Matt S Active Member

Nice to see even your nice place has the dust, ants, and spider issues. I used to have mice years ago, haven't had any varmits in awhile. Took a lot of thinking on how to rid the mice from being the guests of honor. I like the spiders but not everyone does. After a guest checks out I try to always remember to check the corners of the room.

Looks like your shared space is upstairs? Are you the only full-time resident of the house? 1bedroom?

One of my guests told me he's encountered a listing where the host is renting a bed out on his back patio, no enclosure. I guess one guest review said they really liked it but it was a little cold. If I had more bathrooms I might offer a tent in the yard! :)

2. KonaCoconutz

KonaCoconutz Active Member

UGH! I will be filtered out!

3. KonaCoconutz

I've never got this!!!!! I'm a sub-superhost! :((

4. KonaCoconutz

At least you don't have B52 cockroaches, mosquitoes and centipedes like I do in Hawaii! Oh and sometimes dead rats that the cats leave at the guest doorstep!

Matt S likes this.
  5. KonaCoconutz

Here in Hawaii, the AirBnB photographer told me many of our hosts just rent a hammock on the lanai for $50 a night! And that my place was great in comparison to most he sees. Mind you, this was some years back, before Air really took off.

6. Chicagohost

Chicagohost Member

Guests are not going to use superhost as a filter -- it eliminates way too many listings and guests prioritize price, location, and reviews. There's no incentive for them to cut out so many desirable listings that are positively reviewed, particularly when the badge doesn't mean anything concrete to them.

Matt S, Shirey and KonaCoconutz like this.
  7. Tessa

Tessa New Member

in email notifications you can choose to enable

General promotions, updates, news about Airbnb or general promotions for partner campaigns and services, user surveys, inspiration, and love from Airbnb.

I think the congratulatory email about five five star ratings in a row probably falls into the category of "love from Airbnb". So if you don't have it checked, you may not receive them.

Shredder likes this.
  8. Shredder

Shredder Member

Funny I have never looked at the settings. But I have that box unchecked. So I guess they wanted to let me know anyways how good I am doing lately. I would like a local page I could go to that has info for San Diego specifically. But I certainly don't need any more messages or e-mails from AirBnB. Plenty of those!

9. Tessa

Tessa New Member

Have you tried this group on Airbnb? Although there are not very many members... https://www.airbnb.com/groups/3257

10. Shredder

Shredder Member

Yea, have you looked at that group? Nothing going on there. I like this forum, we just need to get more people talking on here. Are you in SD Tessa?

11. Tessa

Tessa New Member

I am in the Phoenix area. Not a very big community here, either.

Shredder likes this.
  12. Estuarto

Estuarto Active Member

500 AirBnB listing in Phoenix, not too shabby! From what Ive read Phoenix has tax and zoning laws, but not necessarily all AirBnBers are complying. Hopefully the company works out a deal and resolution with your city government soon.

13. Tessa

Tessa New Member

The problem is that when people say "Phoenix" they are actually referring not just to the city of Phoenix but many other cities that make up greater Phoenix. Each has their own laws and it's hard to find much information online or others to talk to.

Estuarto likes this.
  14. Estuarto

Estuarto Active Member

Will you start a new thread about Phoenix and we can talk there about regulatory issues in Arizona? I think we are off-topic here. Also we might get someone googling airbnb phoenix and we want them to find us and give us more people to talk to.

15. Shredder

Shredder Member

Are you a superhost Tessa? I suppose that's the question here. And how do you feel about the superhost badge?

16. Tessa

Tessa New Member

I just started hosting this summer. I personally feel that superhost status has very little to do with a guest's decision to book and I wont stress myself out over it. But I don't want to further derail this conversation.

Estuarto likes this.
  17. bijan

bijan New Member

Question: I have two listings: On one I have superheats status, on the other have no reviews yet. I may need to cancel a reservation on the one with no reviews. Does that mean I lose superheats status overall?

18. Shredder

Shredder Member

Your superhost status goes with your account, not your listing. But could you perhaps get the guest to cancel? Sometimes you can convince them to cancel or somehow divert the cancellation you are hoping to avoid. What part of the world are you in? How long have you been a superhost?

19. James Wangsness

James Wangsness New Member

I, too, had 2 recent guests who seemed very happy; and overall they actually were because they rated me 5 stars except for "location", which was a 4. Airbnb immediately sent me a notification saying places in my area had an average location rating of 78 (I'm at 83), and they also mentioned that while you can't move the house, you should somehow warn guests what they are walking into, which is not Beverly Hills but still a quiet and quite nice residential area. I rewrote part of my neighborhood description saying pretty much the same thing in a nice way. What I'd like to have also said is, "Where are you going to get all the amenities I offer for a mere $36/night? Get real!" I shouldn't let it bug me but it does. Some people get so picky and fussy, which is just fine if they're paying top dollar. If they want a better area then please go there. Ugh.

20. Estuarto

Estuarto Active Member

I've never received any such notification. I've been stuck at 78 for a good while. Can you show what that looks like?