1. Welcome to BedmaybeBreakfast! We are a community of AirBnB hosts and guests. Please join in our community and share your experience and opinion. It's FREE! Join HERE!
  2. We are looking for AirBnB enthusiasts interested in writing blogs. E-mail Barry at micasa@bedmaybebreakfast.com for more info. Writers will be compensated per article. The blogs section can be viewed here.

Lost my superhost status

Discussion in 'Hosts' started by Shredder, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Shredder

Shredder Member

Got a nice update yesterday via e-mail. "Thank you for yoru continued dedication to providing extraordinary hospitality. Based on your hosing ativity in the past year, you have no qualified for Superhost status."

Completed trips : 174 (10 required)
    Five-star reviews: 75% (80% required)
    Response rate: 96% (90% required)
    Commitment Rate: 100% (100% required)

Thanks for continuing to make us a lot of money and host a lot of people who are pretty dang happy. But not happy enough. In over 100 reviews over the past year there is probably two negative words. Could it be a few people pushed 1 star instead of 5 and bam I'm not a superhost! 100% Commitment rate? You can't have one mishap in a year?

Not very motivating to put all this effort in and be told I'm not doing great at it.

jwangsness likes this.
  2. Castle Woman

Castle Woman Active Member

Sorry to hear your efforts aren't being rewarded @Shredder. But there isn't that much of a reward. Although the $100 travel voucher is nice. I barely made it with 83% 5 star reviews. I don't think the badge matters much on your listing. I forget what the other perks are, but they aren't that substantial.

jwangsness likes this.
  3. Matt S

Matt S Active Member

Sounds like you are a superhost to me. Rating systems enfuriate me. But I'll avoid that rant for now.

Here are the rewards for Superhost:

Profile Badge
    Guests will see this badge on each of a Superhost's listing pages.

Travel Coupon
    Superhosts who maintain their status for a full year receive a $100 travel coupon.

Priority Support
    Superhosts will get help right away when they contact our 24/7 support team.

Product Exclusives
    Airbnb will invite Superhosts to preview upcoming releases and attend exclusive events.

Shredder likes this.
  4. Abby J

Abby J Member

Sorry for your loss. But on an upbeat - I just got my Superhost status! Oooo that colorful badge. Wooohooo.

Matt S likes this.
  5. Shredder

Shredder Member

:p
    Good for you

6. Castle Woman

Castle Woman Active Member

Bummer. Sounds like you are an underappreciated SuperHost.

Congrats!

7. Shredder

Shredder Member

Star reviews- yuck. Now I think I am able to determine who gives me all 5 stars versus not. I watch my superhost meter, if my 5 star percentage goes down after I get a new review I can only assume that they docked me. Unless it's time delayed... This is interesting because in the instance of the most recent guest they seemed super happy, left a good review, and then my 5 star percentage went down. Go figure.

Rosatti likes this.
  8. Rosatti

Rosatti Member

It could be that this doesn't update regularly. I will watch my percentage and see if it changes after every review.

Shredder likes this.
  9. Abby J

Abby J Member

My 5-star percentage is 88%. I have been watching it over the past few days and it doesn't seem to move with a review.

Shredder likes this.
  10. Chicagohost

Chicagohost Member

From what I can tell, my Superhost status means nothing. None of my guests see it or care. I feel like this is a patronizing experiment that AirBNB has come up with to make hosts completely OCD over some meaningless title that they manufactured and which means absolutely nothing when it comes to our bottom line. Personally, I feel like I jump through a lot of hoops to please my guests as it is (almond milk instead of cream, sure -- sweetened or unsweetened?). I don't need to be told by AirBNB whether I'm super or not. Especially when it translates into nothing on their side. That $100 travel voucher ought to come our way every 4 months, not every 12 months. (I had a customer service complaint once and they gave me a $100 travel voucher without my even asking. They seem to hand them out quite freely in other contexts.)

Sandy and Shredder like this.
  11. Shredder

Shredder Member

I agree that Superhost doesn't make you any more likely to get bookings.

12. Abby J

Abby J Member

Since I became a Superhost I haven't noticed a difference like you say. Are you a superhost too?

13. Jasper Ribbers

Jasper Ribbers New Member

I agree, super host status is really over rated. Users don't care if you have 4.5 or 5 stars, they care about what your former guests say about you and your listing in the reviews. Another thing to keep in mind is that people base their ratings on what they pay. If you have 100% 5 star ratings, it could be an indication that your under pricing your listing.

Snowtosurf, jwangsness and Matt S like this.
  14. Chicagohost

Chicagohost Member

Yes, I am a superhost and I'm quite certain it's totally irrelevant. My listing is priced lower than average due to the noise of my kids which guests can often hear above them. My price and location are the prime factors as to why I'm so booked -- the reviews also help but I got a lot of requests when I first listed and didn't have reviews yet.

Sandy and Abby J like this.
  15. Matt S

Matt S Active Member

The star system sucks but I would say it's actually more revealing of what you might get when looking at different listings. People are much more timid with written reviews, it's easy to click 3 stars for cleanliness as opposed to saying some dishes could have been done and there was some dust on top of the fridge.

16. Matt S

Matt S Active Member

I was wondering about the priority support they say that Superhosts get. What is this concept? Poor struggling hosts have to wait longer on the phone to talk to someone? Do they give you a special number to call Chicagohost?

17. Abby J

Abby J Member

How long have you been doing it? I wouldn't stay at a place that doesn't have a review on record.

18. Carolyn

Carolyn Member

I'm glad I have superhost status, but the only real advantage is that I don't have to wait on hold so long when I call Airbnb. Of course, the company's customer service isn't as good as it used to be, but at least I don't have to listen to that on-hold music they used to play!

19. Carolyn

Carolyn Member

I am curious, folks. How do you know that guests don't care about the Superhost status? I have never asked a guest whether they notice it or care. I wonder if Airbnb has surveyed travelers to see if the Superhost badge makes a difference to them.

20. Shredder

Shredder Member

You know, I don't know. But amongst all the other information in a listing I don't really feel the Superhost stands out. To a guest it also has no qualifier. I think the impact on booking decision making is at the most minimal.

jwangsness and Carolyn like this.