1. Welcome to BedmaybeBreakfast! We are a community of AirBnB hosts and guests. Please join in our community and share your experience and opinion. It's FREE! Join HERE!
  2. We are looking for AirBnB enthusiasts interested in writing blogs. E-mail Barry at micasa@bedmaybebreakfast.com for more info. Writers will be compensated per article. The blogs section can be viewed here.

Guest won't give keys back!

Discussion in 'Hosts' started by Joejoe20, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Joejoe20

Joejoe20 New Member

Hi,
    We rented out our whole house to a shared acquaintances family as they needed somewhere to stay while visiting over the Christmas period. I got a message from my phone to let me know the house alarm was going off so I rang the renter to check if they were ok. It turned out they had snapped the key in the lock (it had never caused a problem before!) and had called an emergency locksmith to give them access.

They had not contacted me or discussed this with me. It was only when I gave instructions for the deposit of the keys I was told that we needed to discuss the bill!

Anyway, I arrived at the house but there were no keys, just an invoice for a fairly large fee for the emergency locksmith that they had paid with cash.

The renter has said they will discuss this in a few days and drop my keys off in the meantime.

So, not only am I deeply offended by the gall of this (arranging for someone to break and enter into my house without my permission) as they clearly expect me to pay a figure which was more than the reduced fee I was charging them as a Christmas favour!!

Any advice would be great! Do I pay half, pay all of it, pay none of it or contact the police?