1. Welcome to BedmaybeBreakfast! We are a community of AirBnB hosts and guests. Please join in our community and share your experience and opinion. It's FREE! Join HERE!
  2. We are looking for AirBnB enthusiasts interested in writing blogs. E-mail Barry at micasa@bedmaybebreakfast.com for more info. Writers will be compensated per article. The blogs section can be viewed here.

Fake Dates hurting rankings on AirBNB?

Discussion in 'Hosts' started by Relaxing Ruth, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Relaxing Ruth

Relaxing Ruth New Member

I'm currently in low season and my rates are half of high season. I have high season blocked on AirBNB because through HomeAway, I get my money right away. I have just received 2 requests in a row putting in low season dates and asking about high season bookings. I replied back the reason to the best of my ability without AirBNB censoring my reply. Am I getting dinged if I decline the guest? Should I accept the guest knowing that they don't want those dates even though there are other reasons I would want them anyway?

p.s. I'm new and had trouble figuring out where and how to post.

2. Carolyn

Carolyn Member

Oh, this is a good place to post too, btw!

3. Estuarto

Estuarto Active Member

Looks like you figured out posting! Low season, is that Florida, or Phoenix? We have a friend around here from Hawaii and she says it's low season too. HomeAway pays you when the guest makes the booking? I get my AirBnB payments direct deposited within 24 hours of guests arrival.

There are some discussions around here about approval rating/percentage. From what I have read this isn't that important. There are two different factors - 1) Accept or Decline a Booking and 2) Pre-Approve or Decline and Inquiry . I'm sure you don't want to give rates for your high season now likely. I realize now I am unsure of the problem. Ate they trying to book your place for now and come later?

4. Relaxing Ruth

Relaxing Ruth New Member

In Florida.

Yes, listing my high season rates seem counter-productive since they are several months out into the future and I do not want to accept that far in advance on AirBNB. I want to get AirBNB bookings for Sep, Oct and early Nov.

The first inquiry in the notes section was for 2016 but used Nov 2015 dates in order to send me an inquiry. After replying to them, I opened January dates but didn't touch the rates and it turns out they are higher than low season but not as high as my new 2016 rates. In my listing description I do clearly state my correct high season rates and which dates are high season.

After the first email where I checked "Ask more before deciding" some how as the conversation continued the inquiry was marked as pre-approved. This is not the first time this has happened. I clicked on UN-APPROVE since I knew they didn't want to come in November. I did not hear back from them after quoting them my correct rates in the return message along with letting them know February was sold out but they could now book for January.

Within 12 hours of opening the January dates I got another inquiry using January dates and wanting April as per their message. I again replied clicking "Ask more before deciding" and let them know that I don't use AirBNB that far out. This inquiry is still sitting in my AirBNB dashboard as "Pending Inquiry". I'm actually afraid to click on it because it might pre-approve them again. I have since closed those January dates again.

Estuarto likes this.
  5. Matt S

Matt S Active Member

Have you seen that when you login to the website using a computer and look at the calendar for your listing there is an additional settings menu? Look to the top right of your calendar for a little gear icon and click that for additional customization's for your calendar. I have been using this lately to specify minimum number of days for a stay for exact time periods. It also allows you to cut off your entire calendar 3 months out or 6 months out etc.

6. Estuarto

Estuarto Active Member

Managing a listing on multiple networks seems a daunting task. I'm happy using AirBnB because for my listing in my house it seemingly gives me the most exposure. I wouldn't really want to increase my occupancy rate at this point anyways.