1. Welcome to BedmaybeBreakfast! We are a community of AirBnB hosts and guests. Please join in our community and share your experience and opinion. It's FREE! Join HERE!
  2. We are looking for AirBnB enthusiasts interested in writing blogs. E-mail Barry at micasa@bedmaybebreakfast.com for more info. Writers will be compensated per article. The blogs section can be viewed here.

Done with AirBnB for a while...

Discussion in 'Guests' started by Avi, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Avi

Avi New Member

My husband and I recently took three trips to Los Angeles over the past month and as we have stayed at many airBnB's, we decided to try it out in LA too. I hate to push people away from using airBnB but I feel it is my duty to advise travelers that the hosts we've encountered simply do not understand the concept of being a host. Yes we are gay men that have high standards but really??! I can understand the fact that when you are using an AirBnb you are not walking into a Ritz-Carlton but the minimum accommodations are expected. So based on the hosts we have encountered, their properties initially give us great reviews and pictures with all the bells and whistles we are looking for. But when we arrived to these properties we were shocked at the accommodations we received:

No Hot Water.

A lack of water pressure from equally both cold and hot water from all water taps.

Stained bed linens

Windows that would not open (sealed shut by paint unless this is intentional) AND otherwise no window screens to shut out flies.

Floors that were totally dirty, stained, scuffed, or rather obviously have been trashed by previous guests.

Filthy, rusty and unkept Bathtub.

Kitchen countertop and sink totally off its foundation, unsealed and looks unsafe.

Lamps either not working or missing light bulbs.

To end, to be a successful airBnB host, basically don't be like other hosts that are negligent in maintaining their property and instead make most of your investment by regularly (meaning after each guest stay) thoroughly checking your property from any unaccommodating, unaesthetic, unclean, or any other factors/values that give a feeling that your space is not an alternative to staying at a hotel. This was the whole concept/point of AirBnB to begin with and unfortunately we have witnessed that many hosts have not really grasped this.

My advice to AirBnB host:
    Get off your lazy bums and realize that if your airBnB is a major investment, maintain your investment! Take care of the pipes, water pressure, water temperature, quality of bed sheets, bed comfort, and most of all, the cleanliness of the space!
  2. Shredder

Shredder Member

Are you talking about entire place rentals? Vacation rentals? As an AirBnB host myself I can tell you that it's not a major investment. It's much more like having roommates. It's not a profitable venture doing AirBnB, it's more of a subsidy on my cost of living.
    James Wangsness likes this.
  3. James Wangsness

James Wangsness New Member

If these places were actually that bad then they would be self-limiting. Their ratings would put them out of business. However, many people are willing to put up with the faults you found because the prices might have been so reasonable that they didn't mind.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  4. James Wangsness

Great way to put it Shredder. It's like Uber; in the end you're sacrificing your time and, the worst, your pride by having to bow and scrape to the demands of the general public so you can make a little extra money to keep your head above water.
    Shredder likes this.
  5. Shredder

Shredder Member

At least with AirBnB we can set the price. However since the introduction of the "price tips" it feels a little more less in my control. Uber though man, they really are chasing the cost of driving ones self. I hope they do more with the carpooling aspect of it. I'd also like to see more long distance ridesharing options - for instance if I want to catch a ride with someone to SF. There was a company called Zimride doing it but now they only allow college students?
  6. James Wangsness

But you can set the price that makes it work for you. I always ignore the price drops during off times determined by "demand". It's not worth it going negative (utility costs, forgoing privacy) to just have a guest. Of course Airbnb takes their cut regardless which is why they push us to take in lodgers for next to nothing.
  7. James Wangsness

You don't have to follow Airbnb's price tips. I do only when they go up; otherwise I have a set price that I will not go below because it's just not worth the hassle, which is onerous when you consider we're supposed to have 5 star ratings all the time; and I'm over that nonsense too. I do my best and if it's not 5 stars I do not care. What I do care about is offering a clean, safe, cheap place for guests who appreciate the deal they are getting.

Maybe I've gotten them before and hadn't noticed, but I got an irritating "room for improvement" notice from Airbnb last week. It was for "Location". I got a 4 instead of a 5 from 2 recent guests. The previous 25 or 30 guests seemed to think my house was in an OK location. Nutty.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  8. James Wangsness

Airbnb is a profitable venture if you are making money, huh? If you make $20 or whatever, it's profit. I don't have that much space to rent out, just a bed in my living room, but it is still profitable. I'm making a few hundred bucks more a month that I wouldn't have had if I didn't do Airbnb. I think what you mean is that you're not making enough money to afford you a major upgrade in your style of living: new car, splashy vacation, etc.
    Geezer likes this.
  9. To Whom it may concern I am writing to you regarding the use of the data published on this platform for a dissertation project, concerning the topic of consumer's motivation in engaging in eWOM activity the case study of Airbnb. I would like to kindly ask for your consent, if anyone does not want to be observed or named please contact me via thannicha.chowi@gmail.com

Best Regards

Thannicha Chowiwatthana