1. Welcome to BedmaybeBreakfast! We are a community of AirBnB hosts and guests. Please join in our community and share your experience and opinion. It's FREE! Join HERE!
  2. We are looking for AirBnB enthusiasts interested in writing blogs. E-mail Barry at micasa@bedmaybebreakfast.com for more info. Writers will be compensated per article. The blogs section can be viewed here.

Do you serve breakfast with your AirBnB

Discussion in 'Hosts' started by SI MON, Mar 25, 2015.

?

Is breakfast offered as part of your AirBnB?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. SI MON

SI MON New Member

Bed MAYBE Breakfast. Some hosts offer a tea and a muffin, some nothing. Some will cook you a veggie feast, some won't even let you eat. Do you offer breakfast? Yes or no the poll and tell us what your thoughts are on this aspect of hosting.

2. SI MON

SI MON New Member

I state in my listing description and on a welcome notice to guests that they can help themselves to juice, tea, cereal, toast, and fruits. I'd say 1 in 5 indulge. 1 in 50 take advantage of it :D

3. Shirey

Shirey Member

I've heard others say Bed and Bath. The Air part of AirBnB comes from the original concept being born by hosting with an air mattress. Although I like the interpretation of it being more that we are BnBs that exist in the Air - The Internet. Maybe I made that up.

I always have some fruits around and am an avid coffee drinker. I have some teas as well. Usually guests will have some coffee with me and then take a fruit as they head out for the day.

4. Matt S

Matt S Active Member

I have yogurts and toast. Sometimes I might make some bacon and offer it to them. I have breakfasted checked in amenities but I don't say anything about it in the listing. Nobody has complained. When I make bacon people love it - except the veggies.

5. Estuarto

Estuarto Active Member

I have continental breakfast. I always ask the night before if they would like me to put it out for them in the morning and if so at what time. Oats, Breads, Muffins, Fruits, Juices, Coffee and Tea. I estimate 20% take me up on it.

6. Castle Woman

Castle Woman Active Member

I usually will have some sort of baked breakfast pastry. It's fun to do and having guests makes a reason for me to. Think it's my motherly quality. Of course I have coffee and tea and usually some bananas and oranges to offer as well.

7. SI MON

SI MON New Member

I like offering them the breakfast but not presenting it to them. If they want it they have to get it themselves. If your listing is $100 a night or more, it makes sense to me to put out a breakfast for the guests. But if you are a budget accommodation and you are as busy as I am then if they want a breakfast they will be happy to help themselves.

8. SI MON

SI MON New Member

Had a kid stay with me from Germany. I think he about 20 years old. Smart kid, bit of a social struggler. Anyhoo, this kid ate a loaf of bread a day. He stayed for a week, and I guess it wasn't quite a loaf a day but he ate 3 loafs. After the first one I decided to get a lower cost bread. I also had to buy another jar of jelly. His carb consumption was a bit contagious too as I seem to have upped my toast indulgence since his arrival. Like I said 1 in 50 indulge, this kid got his breads worth.

Cabinhost likes this.
  9. Rhonda

Rhonda Member

I always have some gooodies from the local bakery, orange juice, and hot caffeineted beverages. I'm happy to put it on a plate or in a cup for the guests.

10. Sandy

Sandy Active Member

We have a great local bagel place. We started off not wanting to do breakfasts, other than great coffee, teas and fresh fruit in the dining room, but once we offered bagels to some guests we liked, they reviewed it, and next thing we knew, others were mentioning it on arrival 'can't wait to try the bagels!' 'Oh we notice you serve bagels, but we're vegan. Can you get us vegan spread- and milk etc'. The special requests are annoying, but the bagels seem to be a winner. Very inexpensive for a doz or half doz, and the guests are set.

Castle Woman likes this.
  11. Castle Woman

I love baked goods and can honestly say that bagels are my favorite. We have a place in town called Blocks Bagels, but nothing compares to what I have had in NYC. I have even attempted a few boil > bakes of my own. First try came out like dog treats, second try was decent. But too much hassle. Next time I will have to upgrade me half dozen to a bakers dozen and give them to the guests.

SI MON and Sandy like this.
  12. Sandy

Sandy Active Member

I love pastries too castlewoman:). Personally my fave is a fresh croissant with coffee, and I also love fresh challah in the morning, or brioche.

Castle Woman likes this.
  13. Sister Moon

Sister Moon New Member

Since my place is at a fair walk from any café I offer breakfast to my guests, but I have to say that in my 60+ guests experience the majority don't even expect it. I guess they don't get it elsewhere. I offer a simple continental breakfast and I say that in my listing and so far guest have commented positively on it. I have a bit of a dilemma however: I follow a vegan gluten-free diet for health reasons so I am not supposed to eat any of the things I am offering to guests. This means that several times I had to throw out loads of eggs, milk, cakes, cereals, butter and that makes my heart bleed. I am considering limiting the offering to non degradable items. Anyone has better suggestions? thanks!

Sandy likes this.
  14. Sandy

Sandy Active Member

That is a real dilemma Sistermoon. I find sometimes people say they don't expect things, but if it is mentioned in your reviews, they sure as heck do, because they have often read them by that point. I find offering a very simple breakfast option works very well. One pastry item with a bowl of in season fruit and great coffee/tea and most people are set to take off for the day and refuel better later on. You're not required to,give them a full breakfast, just enough so that they don't leave the house starving - at least that's how we look at it, and it works fine for us. We don't allow,access to our kitchen, so everything is set up in the dining room. Most eat on the porches in season.

15. Sister Moon

Sister Moon New Member

Thank you, Sandy! As part of the deal, I give full access to the kitchen and - in fact - I wish all guests did their eating and drinking in the kitchen only, instead of upstairs in the room, where there have been"accidents"! I will take up your fruit suggestion and kill the cakes/biscuits/pastry option keeping only toast because I end up eating the bloomin things instead of them and I am not supposed to! :rolleyes:

Sandy likes this.
  16. Estuarto

Estuarto Active Member

I have stayed at a vegan AirBnB and they advertised it as such. If you did so you would be surprised you will probably get more guests who appreciate your diet! I think as long as you have in your description what you are offering then there is no reason to complain in a review. I don't think you should bother with having food in your house for guests that you don't eat yourself. And yea people are funny about eating breakfast at my place, I think generally the people that do are more for monetary reasons then anything else.

Sandy likes this.
  17. Sandy

Sandy Active Member

Lol about eating the things you are not supposed to! I can't stand wastage either. You're slim lined version sounds great, it's all in the presentation! A nice bowl of fruits with some juicy apples, pears, bananas or oranges, or whatever you happen to get for a great price always looks great on the table/bench, along with a nice fresh loaf of good bread such a s a sourdough, or whatever you like and are happy to share. I hear you about messes in rooms :/

Estuarto, I agree mentioning her vegan status is a great idea, as like minded people will be attracted. But you don't want to turn off people by sounding like you won't cater to their usual eating style. Many think vegans eat 'weird stuff' that they'd rather not eat (I rarely eat meat, but give me fresh butter over soy that hurts my stomach, and real yoghurt). So a happy medium I think is mentioning she is vegan and loves the lifestyle, but caters to regular diets with her simple breakfasts too.

18. Matt S

Matt S Active Member

I am very specific in my description and am sure to have said items available. Cereal, milk, yogurt, fruit, juice. Nobody has ever complained and few indulge. Which just means more for me. I have been eating better breakfasts as a result, as I am sure to always have fresh fruit. And then when they don't eat it - I have to!

19. Castle Woman

You know I used to put the breakfast offerings on the counter in the kitchen but I quickly learned that some guests would take them back into their room. So now I set it on the dining room table and it's quite obvious that it is to be had there.

20. SI MON

SI MON New Member

Oh New Yorks pizza and bagels. I must be overdue for a trip. 5 years it has been.

Castle Woman likes this.