1. Welcome to BedmaybeBreakfast! We are a community of AirBnB hosts and guests. Please join in our community and share your experience and opinion. It's FREE! Join HERE!
  2. We are looking for AirBnB enthusiasts interested in writing blogs. E-mail Barry at micasa@bedmaybebreakfast.com for more info. Writers will be compensated per article. The blogs section can be viewed here.

Charge extra for pets?

Discussion in 'Guests' started by Rafa Bass, May 31, 2015.

1. Rafa Bass

Rafa Bass New Member

I have been looking at booking a room in Denver for July 4th weekend. It's my wife and I and our Australlian shephard. I specifically searched for places that allow pets. This house sounds great, some of the reviews even mention it's dog friendly. But when I asked the guy if I could book the room he said "yes but it will be $50 extra for the dog and I will send you a special offer". Is this customary? I didn't see anything listed in the pricing for additional pet costs.
  2. Shredder

Shredder Member

They should say how much extra it is for pets in the listing. It's probably a bad omen.
  3. SI MON

SI MON New Member

I don't think the system allows you to have a pet fee. Some hosts must just make it up and do special offers based on what kinda animal you describe as bringing with you.
  4. Sandy

Sandy Active Member

I mention an extra pet cleaning fee in my description - at least I did before I just removed the pet option from my listing. I asked it to be paid in cash on leaving (guests would leave it in the room.) No one had a problem with it. This is because pets shed, some of them A LOT, requiring much more time spent cleaning than a usual room clean. I believe your dog would fall under the shedders category. Secondly, please be aware that dogs can do damage that humans don't do. Claws scratch floors, and when up on the beds (as so many guests allow), they like to scratch at bedding too. They can leave muddy paw marks on bedding- these are the devil to try to remove in the laundry. Worst is many dogs although perfectly house trained at home, will feel nervous and have accidents in a hosts home.

I am not saying any of these things will be the case with your Shephard, except the shedding (and this can be a pain to get off bedding and carpets). But many things can add up to an extra inconvenience to your host, than just two people coming alone, without their pet. Sometimes the dog will bark, upsetting other guests... I'll stop here!

I will say that I am also on your side, as someone who travels always with my dog of 14 years, who has been with us on international trips, and is an exceptional little traveler. Even our cat is a great traveler and comes on our journeys. But I am aware that it is an extra encumbrance, and for that, I wholeheartedly agree with the fees all hotels charge.

I won't bore you with the horror stories of my guests with pets that eventually caused me to stop accepting them, but suffice to say, there is a good reason for those extra charges!
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
    SI MON and Rose like this.
  5. Rose

Rose New Member

I love dogs and have a the cutest pug mix. On initial consideration I thought it would be fun to have guests who are accompanied by their pets but decided it was a factor I couldn't be bothered to deal with. Simply renting one room to person or two has its share of perils. Adding in a fury friend could really stir the pot.
  6. Sandy

Sandy Active Member

It's true Rose. It can also turn off guests that aren't a fan of animals. Many are allergic and don't like the idea of dogs having been all over the bed and released their dander in the room. But mostly, a lot of damage can occur. I have to say I have been thoroughly shocked by guests that have promised a well behaved pet and instead brought along something that would put terror into the heart of any host.
  7. Cabinhost

Cabinhost New Member

Yes, I do not believe there is a field to enter pricing for pets. I had it in my description that dogs were considered and if approved it would be $15 a day per dog. I just removed this. I rent a house out on Airbnb vs. a room to I am not present but there are several security cameras at the property. Guests are aware of this and they still would not follow the "rules" - dog must be on leash and poo picked up, etc. They would just let the dog out to do his business and not pick up after it. Or they allow the dog on the beds and I would have to rewash a coverlet that I just washed as it would be covered in hair (after only a two night stay). I have a fear of a dog marking their territory inside. And worse.....fleas. I read a horror story about an owner that had to shut one of her properties due to a dog staying with fleas.