1. Welcome to BedmaybeBreakfast! We are a community of AirBnB hosts and guests. Please join in our community and share your experience and opinion. It's FREE! Join HERE!
  2. We are looking for AirBnB enthusiasts interested in writing blogs. E-mail Barry at micasa@bedmaybebreakfast.com for more info. Writers will be compensated per article. The blogs section can be viewed here.

arriving after midnight is the next day

Discussion in 'Guests' started by Randall Ackley, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Randall Ackley

Randall Ackley New Member

i find the calendar a bit confusing. i will be driving all day to my destination and my eta is 1:30am. i booked the room for the day i will be arriving. my host informed me after the booking that checkin time can't be before noon but it says nothing of it on the site. i need a place to sleep after driving all day. what should i do?
  2. Estuarto

Estuarto Active Member

Are you sure no check-in time was specified for the listing? I don't know many hosts who will allow a middle of the night check-in and count it as being the next day. I wouldn't. The most common concern in this case is that there could be another guest who booked the night (yea 1:30am is part of the night). Generally you will be better off booking a hotel or motel to arrive so late and you will have to pay for the night, even if you arrive early in the morning. You could have also let your host know this upfront before making the booking as 1:30am is a generally abnormal time to arrive to somebodies house.
    Ashley likes this.
  3. Shirey

Shirey Member

Sounds like you assumed somewhat incorrectly that you could check-in anytime. In the future you should consider discussing check-in time with enough time in advance to prepare accordingly.
  4. Cabinhost

Cabinhost New Member

I thought check in - check out time was a required field. Please understand why most hosts would not allow someone to check in at that time. The guests who booked the previous day prob. don't have to check out until 10 a.m. So it is impossible for you to arrive while other guests are still renting the room. If you reserved a hotel you would still have to pay for the previous night, as the hotel must block off the date so one else can book for that night.
  5. Matt S

Matt S Active Member

There is a flexible option in the check-in check-out time settings. But as you mention, having guests back to back makes flexible a practicality issue. I have been using flexible, then when they book I message standard times of 11am or earlier check-out and 3pm or later check-in, I ask if that works for them. Pretty much everyone goes with it. Otherwise I explain practicalities, and will sometimes work with them where I can.
  6. KIKC

KIKC New Member

The confusion results from the apparently, not so obvious fact, that we do not rent out days, we rent out nights. The original poster thought that he was reserving his arrival day, starting at 12:01 AM. Instead, he was reserving the night of his arrival day, starting after 12:00 PM. Hosts should make sure check in and check out days, dates and times are very clear in their listing and in their confirming emails.
    Example of how I define a typical 1 week reservation.
    Length of stay: 7 nights.
    Arrival: Saturday, August 15, 2015, 3:00PM
    Departure: Saturday, August 22, 2015, 10:00AM
    My listing specifies my check in check out times. I do have various early check in, late check out policies that vary depending on high or low seasons.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    Estuarto and Matt S like this.
  7. Matt S

Matt S Active Member

Are those your posted checkin and checkout times? 10am and 3pm?

I will accomodate holding bags from early arrival or late checkout.
  8. KIKC

KIKC New Member

10 and 3 are my standard times. All my guests arrive by car so there is no issue with bags. It's a 3 bedroom 2 bath cottage and my cleaners want 5 hours to turn it over. If there is no same day turnover I will allow 10AM check in or 3PM checkout for free. I charge a bit extra (not an extra full night) if they want to guarantee that and if they want a middle of the night check in they do pay for the whole night.
    Matt S likes this.
  9. Matt S

Matt S Active Member

What do you pay for the cleaners compared to what you charge for a cleaning fee if you don't mind me asking?
  10. Estuarto

Estuarto Active Member

I charge $20 cleaning fee and get my place cleaned every 10-14 days depending on guests. I pay $65 for 2 hours of cleaning - usually two cleaners for one hour. The rest of the upkeep I do myself.
  11. KIKC

KIKC New Member

My cleaners charge me $125 for an exit clean and I have a caretaker/inspector who charges me $100 month. So I charge $150 for each exit clean. On HomeAway and VRBO I include it in the total but that doesn't work on Airbnb. Short stays are obviously way more expensive per night than longer stays but I do get a few 3 and 4 nighters, so I guess some people feel it's worth it. I'm in line with similar properties in my area, the beach near Charleston, SC.
  12. Matt S

Matt S Active Member

What are the jobs of the caretaker/inspector? On AirBnB you can charge a cleaning fee which gets included in the total - can you explain more how it's different on the other sites?