1. Welcome to BedmaybeBreakfast! We are a community of AirBnB hosts and guests. Please join in our community and share your experience and opinion. It's FREE! Join HERE!
  2. We are looking for AirBnB enthusiasts interested in writing blogs. E-mail Barry at micasa@bedmaybebreakfast.com for more info. Writers will be compensated per article. The blogs section can be viewed here.

AirBnB concerns overblown

Discussion in 'News' started by Estuarto, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Estuarto

Estuarto Active Member

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/05/31/airbnb-concerns-overblown

The article starts out with the calgary $150k damage incident but goes into the regulations in Quebec and an interesting quote from Hilton development president.

At the moment, Quebec residents are not allowed to rent out their homes short-term on a regular basis without registering and paying $250. The government now plans to impose an accommodation tax, along with a fee equivalent to what hotels pay the Quebec Tourism Industry Corporation—and maybe a charge for users as well, modelled after San Francisco’s.

But the concern about “unfair” competition may be overblown. Ian Carter, president of development for the Hilton hotel chain, recently told the New York Times that home-sharing websites were “stimulating demand, rather than displacing existing demand,” adding that Hilton Worldwide served a record 140 million guests last year.

And indeed, while they are substitutes to some extent, someone who really wants that home-away-from-home feeling is unlikely to rent a hotel room—and someone who wants turndown service will not rent a private home.​

2. Rosatti

Rosatti Member

I find that just strange the guy from Hilton would say that. The economy is booming, and the USD is doing great so hotel demand is up. How could home-sharing websites stimulate demand? I guess it's a good thing that the hotels aren't taking the enemy side of homeshare. But I always keep in mind that press and media can be quite misleading

Estuarto likes this.
  3. Estuarto

Estuarto Active Member

As mentioned before, it's a good time for a company like AirBnB to come in and disrupt the industry, but without much confrontation from the competitors because they are busy as ever too.

4. Matt S

Matt S Active Member