1. Welcome to BedmaybeBreakfast! We are a community of AirBnB hosts and guests. Please join in our community and share your experience and opinion. It's FREE! Join HERE!
  2. We are looking for AirBnB enthusiasts interested in writing blogs. E-mail Barry at micasa@bedmaybebreakfast.com for more info. Writers will be compensated per article. The blogs section can be viewed here.

Acceptance rate is low

Discussion in 'Hosts' started by Rhonda, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Rhonda

Rhonda Member

I'm noticing my acceptance rate is very low - 40%. But I book almost everyone who requests a reservation. I think I have only hit the decline button twice out of 80 times or so. How do I get my acceptance rate higher? Maybe I am just noticing it but I don't remember it being so low.

2. Castle Woman

Castle Woman Active Member

The acceptance rate percentage is the combined percentage of your accepts/declines and also your pre-approvals. It could be that you aren't pre-approving many guests, if any. So if you are accepting nearly 100% of the reservation requests but pre-approving 0% then your average would be around 50%. That would be my explanation for your 40% acceptance rate.

Rhonda likes this.
  3. Rhonda

Rhonda Member

I never use the pre-approve because I don't want the room to be unavailable. It's hard to tell who is serious about booking and who is simply e-mailing lots of places.

4. Castle Woman

Pre-approving doesn't hold the room, you can pre-approve multiple guests for room/time. Then whoever books first will get it. When I do multiple pre-approvals I am always sure to let the guests know that there are other people interested and the first one to book will get the room. This doesn't happen very often here in Columbus though.

Geezer, Matt S, Abby J and 1 other person like this.
  5. Rhonda

Rhonda Member

For some reason I had it in my mind that pre-approving held the room. Thanks for the response. I'll have to start pre-approving guests more regularly!

kwame likes this.
  6. Estuarto

Estuarto Active Member

When guests look at the listing on the computer they only see response time and response rate. But acceptance rate I'm sure matters to your search ranking.

Rhonda likes this.
  7. Abby J

Abby J Member

Is this a new policy to calculate the acceptance rate? What does pre-approving have to do with accepting?

Some guests inquire: "Hi, will you please contact me through <email hidden>" and then I don't pre-approve them so my acceptance rate is lower. Bogus.

Matt S likes this.
  8. Matt S

Matt S Active Member

Yea some guests have some pretty ridiculous first messages that make me not even consider hosting them. The usual reply is "no, sorry".
    The only thing we have going here is that you have to figure all hosts experience these inquiries and don't pre-approve so it should average out. Somewhat. The acceptance rate is altogether a bit of a "bogus" stat though If you really think about it.

9. Castle Woman

Sounds like it should be added to the suggestions that pre-approval shouldn't effect acceptance rate.

Jackson likes this.
  10. Jackson

Jackson Member

I am too fearful of having undesirables stay in my house to pre-approve anyone. My acceptance rate is pretty bad. 36%. But am still getting the amount of stays that's good for me! My biggest pet peeve is those who accept to book the room without sending a message. Denied!

11. kwame

kwame New Member

I could do without the whole pre-approval option. Never used it. Don't plan to. Seems just an excuse to fillup e-mail boxes.

Castle Woman likes this.
  12. Castle Woman

I never thought of the suggestion that AirBnB offers this feature to add another reminder for guests to book.

13. Rosatti

Rosatti Member

I don't really use the pre-approval.

14. sky

sky New Member

I believe the acceptance rate is (accepts + preapprovals + special offers)/ (total inquiries and booking requests) - in which case it should not matter if one has 0 or more preapprovals. Am I wrong? Could you explain a bit or give an example of the formula you're using?

Also how does one view or find out their acceptance rate? Is it published somewhere in a host's dashboard?

Matt S, Jackson and Castle Woman like this.
  15. Castle Woman

Right you are AirBnB has published that is their calculation for acceptance rate.

If you login to the AirBnB site and go to the dashboard, at the bottom of the page there is the superhost info, and there you can see your acceptance rate.

Matt S and Jackson like this.
  16. Jackson

Jackson Member

I got my acceptance rate up to 62%, still working on it.

Matt S likes this.
  17. Matt S

Matt S Active Member

I'm running at 72%, AirBnB says anything over 75% is doing great. I'm always so close to greatness :(

18. Geezer

Geezer New Member

"I am too fearful of having undesirables stay in my house to pre-approve anyone."

How do you determine who is an "undesirable? Black? Long hair? Old?

Please answer the question. Please show us your prejudices. We won't mind.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016